Date & Walnut Chew Bars


I had a packet of walnuts that needed using up.  When looking for a recipe, I came across a tray bake with an unusual name – ‘Chinese Chews’. On further research, I couldn't find out much more about the origin of the name. No one seems to know where it has come from.

Anyways, I liked the sound and look of them and decided on using this Chinese Chews recipe.  I don’t think I've had anything like it before. Don’t know why they’re called what they’re called – didn't think they were particularly Chinese! However, I found this to be an easy-to-make and delicious tray bake (the flavours of dates and walnuts marry well together) with a surprisingly good texture (chewy from the dates with bits of crunch from the walnuts). I definitely recommend making this!


IMG_5199.1

 

Ingredients
3/4 cup plain flour
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup dates, chopped
1 cup walnuts, chopped
3 eggs, well-beaten
Icing sugar, for topping if using 
Method
1. Preheat oven to 150° C.
Grease and line an 8 x 12-inch pan.
 2. Combine flour, caster sugar, baking powder and salt.
Sift into a medium sized mixing bowl.
3. Stir the dates, walnuts and eggs into the dry ingredients.
Make sure ingredients are well combined – the batter will be sticky.
4. Spread the batter out into the prepared pan.
5. Bake for 30 minutes,
or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
6. Cool completely and cut into squares.
7. Dust with icing sugar, as desired.



 
IMG_5183


IMG_5197


IMG_5198


IMG_5200

Comments