Courgette cake

 
I love using veg in my baking. I wanted to do something a bit different from the usual carrot so started with butternut squash. I stuck to this as it works so well. I will have to post the recipe for my butternut squash cake at some point. But then I tried using courgettes in a cake and the result is beautiful! You really can’t taste the courgettes in it and not only do they add a healthy element - the cake is light, moist and flavourful.  

I use this Courgette cake recipe which makes a two layer cake. Hope you enjoy this cake as much as I do!

 
1459271_10151722338711793_1857562853_n.2jpg
 

Ingredients:
 
The Cake:
60g of raisins or sultanas
250g of courgettes
2 large eggs
125ml of vegetable oil
150g of caster sugar
225g of self-raising flour
½ a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
½ a teaspoon of baking powder
 
Lemon Curd Filling:
2 to 3 tablespoons of lemon curd
 
Lime Cream Cheese Icing:
200g of cream cheese
100g of icing sugar, sieved
juice of ½ a lime or lemon
 

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas Mark 4.
Grease and line two round cake tins.
2. Plump up the sultanas or raisins in a small bowl of warm water for a few minutes.
3. Grate the courgettes coarsely and place in a sieve over the sink or another bowl to drain out the excess moisture.
4. Place the eggs, oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat together until creamy.
Sieve in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder.
Continue to beat until well incorporated.
Stir in the courgette and drained sultanas/raisins.
5. Divide the cake mixture between the two tins.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until firm to the touch and slightly browned.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tins for a few tins before turning out onto cooling racks to cool fully.
6. Meanwhile make the topping.
Beat the cream cheese for a few minutes before adding the icing sugar.
Continue to beat for a few minutes more before beating in the lime juice.
7. Now to assemble the cake.
Place one cake on your cake stand or plate.
Spread over the lemon curd.
Sandwich over the other cake.
Spread the frosting over the top of the cake.

 
600358_10151722334281793_1457204488_n


1459271_10151722338711793_1857562853_n



N.B.

You don’t have to soak the raisins if you don’t want too. I didn’t the last time I made this.

I also got away with not draining the courgettes the last time I made them. But it may be best to err on the side of caution and do so. I noticed people on this website (same recipe but with less detailed instructions) commenting that their cakes turned out soggy from not draining the courgettes.

I may chop up my raisins/sultanas next time so they are more evenly dispersed. Leigh liked them kept whole so you can taste them when you come across one. Personal preference really.

I tried making cupcakes with this recipe and managed to make a one layer cake with ten cupcakes. I cut out the middle of each cupcake, filled with a dollop of lemon curd, placed the cake back on top, and then topped with the icing. This made for a nice surprise when eating the cupcake! I also added some lemon sugar crunchies to the topping. This gave the cakes a splash of colour and extra texture. The original recipe suggests chopped pistachios as a topping, which I think would be nice too.


cake batter


cupcakes


white cakes


cupcakes2


yellow cake

Comments

  1. I loved this recipe, yummy and delicious!☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry i missed this comment last year. Am really pleased you like the recipe as much as i do. This is one of my faves. Thanks for stopping by my blog :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment